Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Fireside chats

Last night David and I went to my parents house for dinner and we had such a great time! My grandparents had come into town and after dinner we sat around their fire pit and my Papa told us stories of his childhood....the stories were great but watching him laugh and "re-live" the moment was so enjoyable.

One story was about how he and his friend got one of their roosters drunk.... First off, who would even think of trying this.... He went on to explain that his mom had gone into town and they went to the medicine drawer to get the whiskey that his Dad used when he got a cough...  anyway... they filled a small glass with it and then stuck the poor roosters beak in just far enough so that the it forced the bird to take a breath.... thus causing the rooster to suck in the whiskey.  At this point my Papa... and the rest of us... are laughing so hard its hard to breath. 

They made the rooster take about 4 of those forced drinks and then they let him go... hahahaha

That poor bird couldn't walk straight or even know what to do... he wandered around the yard drunk as a skunk...   

Isn't it crazy to think that is what was entertainment for him and his 11 siblings. Papa was one of 12. All the kids shared 2 full sized beds and didn't even own toothbrushes.. but they have some of the best stories I have ever heard.  I hope that as I go through life I am able to make memories the way my Papa did... so that one day I will be sitting around a camp-fire sharing those moments with my own family.

Grammie & Papa.. I love them so much... Look at how cute they are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment