Friday, August 19, 2011

Aragu, Dachessa & Mulu

Aragu & Dachessa sitting on a bench the first day at the orphanage.. Look at how sad their eyes are.... I can not even imagine the hurt they felt or how scared they probably were. Unknown of what was to come. My heart ached watching them.


Dachessa was curious about the camera and seemed to be a happy little guy.. but unaware of the transition he was making in to the orphanage.... Aragu is clearly nervous and uncertain of all that was happening.




When I was in Ethiopia there was a little girl...stole my heart and her name is Aragu!

These pictures were taken they day she, Dachessa (her brother) and Mulu ( her little sister) were brought into the orphanage by the government. Their story is one of the saddest stories I have ever heard.  A few days prior to coming Dachessa watched their father shoot and kick their pregnant mother to death!  These 3 are the youngest of 9 children and in those few tragic moments their grandmother became their primary provider.  But Grandma didn't have the means to care for her children and 9 grandchildren. Therefore the government forced the three youngest to come to NEW HOPE... the orphanage.

In Ethiopia the people don't truly keep track of birthdays like we do in America. So their grandma said that Aragu was 8, Dachessa was 6, and Mulu 2. But I do not believe that is the case. Aragu was so small.. she could maybe be 6 or 7. Dachessa was even smaller and played with toys like the toddlers I baby sit play. The kids were definitely malnourished  but their actions suggested they were younger than the grandma said.... But who would blame her? She had just inherited her daughters nine kids how would she really be able to know their ages. 

Now you have to know that NEW HOPE is not staffed to take care of babies... in their contract it states no children under the age of 4 can be taken in. But the government overlooked that and forced them to take in Mulu. The leader of our mission team freaked out in fear of losing funding because of this little one.  If the orphanage stated taking in babies then word would get out and kids would end up being dropped off at the door and there would be no way to take care of them. SO... After a day of discussion the leaders of the orphanage and our team leader agreed that in this situation they would provide Mulu's Grandma with food, clothing, and hair oils with the intention of taking Mulu in when she turned 4. It was a good thing that happened. The leaders at NEW HOPE were able to discuss some of the tough things that need to be done and through the grace of God, 
Mulu will still be well taken care of.

In the days that followed Aragu was by my side most of the time... one of my friends Larissa said it best..." When you get there you don't choose the kids...they choose you and its perfect, designed by God." For some reason Aragu chose me to trust.. and I am so thankful that she did. She will always have a special place in my heart. My husband and I just started sponsoring her monthly and I am so excited to stay connected to her and watch her grow and come to know the Lord as her Savior. 
Aragu right after she had her first shower ever!!!
Dachessa has attitude
Since last October (2010) I have received 6 letters from Aragu. They are the most tender of gifts. In her first letter to me she thanked me for loving her and said "because of you, I know Jesus" How precious is that. It made the entire trip worth it... One child's eternity was changed. Aragu has now completed one year of school (kindergarden) and is finding her place in the NEW HOPE FAMILY. I love her so much... as if she were my own child.. and I hope that one day I will be able to take David back there with me and see the transformation in her life!


Litte Mulu before she went back to grandma.



Mulu playing with a ball


Beautiful Dachessa



These were taken when we took all the kids to a water fall near by! Everyone had so much fun

Me with Aragu and Fidhassa on our last day.


Saying our goodbyes



2 comments:

  1. I had goosebumps the entire time I read this =] I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have goosebumps thinking about them... :)

    ReplyDelete