Thursday, August 18, 2011

Craving or.. Gluttony....

Yesterday while I was running I listened to a pod cast by Erwin McManus and it was all about "CRAVINGS." How our Soul craves for things that only God has the ability to satisfy.  It caused me to think about all the things that I crave.... they usually are along the lines of food.. like Billings Best Yogurt, or Pizza but if I am truly honest with myself, I would say I also desire to be accepted by the people I am around.... and to be loved... never alone... and to know that my life has purpose...All things that God's truth and love offer.

One of the things Erwin said really got me thinking... He said, "In order to be tempted by anything, there must first be a craving for it!"  WOW!  The Enemy knows of the things we crave... and then uses them to tempt us to filling that desire with a material thing; rather than turning to God for our needs.

When I think about how often I crave foods that only make me sick or feel good for a few mins and I give in to my desire... how glutinous is that! I really hope that my life isn't a reflection of Gluttony. About 7 1/2 months before my wedding I decided to deal with a health issue called Candida. Its a yeast overgrowth in your organs and is linked to many chronic illnesses.  I was gaining weight like crazy, had horrible cystic acne, and was tired all the time... all linked to Candida.  So I started treating it by cutting out all of the Candida's food source... Yeast products, Viniger, Dairy, Sugar and coffee.... Talk about weeding out all the bad stuff right!   So for 8 months I didn't have any of that and filled myself up with veggies and protein... AND I FELT GREAT!  However, I have added almost all of the bad back into my diet and i continue to eat poorly even when I know I would feel better if I didn't.... WHY DO I DO THIS...

In Matthew when Jesus has been fasting for 40 days, Satan comes to him and tempts him with what his body craves the most... Food.  Satan says "if you bow down to me, I will turn these rocks into bread."  However, Jesus knows that his real need is with His Father so he replies... "It is written, Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4) GOD's truth is the food we need.

Erwin also said," Worse we Feel... the More we eat" in order to to make our selves feel better.... But does that really work? NO! because the more crap we eat the worse we feel!! WHAT AN UGLY CYCLE! 

My prayer is that I would not live a life led by cravings... going from one crave to the other. Instead I pray my life would Reflect that of Jesus... knowing that true satisfaction comes from relationship with God and being able to recognize the difference between an need and a gluttonous craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment