Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Color Valentines

I have been browsing Pinterest for awhile now and I have made long list of projects that I HAVE to do! (but never ever seem to do) Well I decided that I would try one today with the little guy I babysit on Tuesdays...

I had given him and his sister a GIANT bag of my old craft supplies and crayons when I got married so I wouldn't have to move it all AND because I only use my old stuff with these amazing kiddoes so it was a Perfect Plan...

Today Jantzen and I made Valentines for him to give to all of his friends out of old broken-up crayons! Last week I told him to make a pile of all of his old crayons that he didn't use or they were broken..etc. and Save them for me because I have a fun project for us next week... LOOK at that.. ME planing ahead!

SO when I got to their house today, Jantzen was all excited to show me all of his broken crayons. And we got to work right away..  Peeling away the paper (not the most fun).... Chopping them into smaller pieces....  filling up my silicone heart trays.. (ps I found them at Target in the cheap section)... Then you place them in the oven (on the middle rack) for 15 mins at 200-225 degrees.....

When they are all melted CAREFULLY take them out using hot mits and place them either on a cooling rack to cool... or if you want to speed up the process like me.. place them in the fridge... BUT Caution... the crayon gets really liquidy(i think I made that word up) and can spill all over the floor and then you have a not so fun clean up... and it makes the Craft a LOAD more stressful... (maybe I am speaking from experience...) But I am AN AWESOME CLEANER UPER and the floor looks sparkly and new! :D

While ours were cooling we made cute little paper cards to tap our new heart crayons on so Jantzen can hand them out on Valentines day to his friends. ... I don't have pictures of this process.. but if you are going to make them use your imagination!  I had Jantzen trace his flashlight for the circles and then we folded the paper in thirds for the squares.... I cut them out and then he used a glue stick to paste the circle and square together... then I wrote across the top of the circles... YOU COLOR MY WORLD! ... but HAPPY VALENTINES DAY... or HAVE A COLORFUL VALENTINES DAY would also be good. 

Now once they are cooled they can pressed out...Carefully people.. we don't want to have to chop up our new crayons because we weren't patient enough....
Then we used a piece of tape rolled to stick our hearts to our Valentines. I would have liked to use double sided tape but you use what you got... :D


Jantzen "decorated" them with more crayons.. and they are now ready to hand out... it took us all morning to finnish but we had a great time and I LOVE when we get to do something crafty and not have to play cars all day long ;)...  What are some of the Crafts you are doing for Valentines day?










No comments:

Post a Comment